Tim Vines, president, and chief executive officer of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama, has been voted chair of the BCBSA Board of Directors, according to the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. Vines will take over as chair of BCBSA’s governing body, which offers strategic guidance and oversight.
- New leader: Vines, a 27-year employee of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama, was named president and CEO in 2018. He has also held the positions of president and chief operating officer, chief administrative officer, senior vice president, business operations, and senior vice president, health management, among others.
- Commitments: “I’m grateful for the opportunity to serve as chair of the BCBSA Board. I look forward to partnering with my colleagues as we continue the Association’s progress of providing all Americans access to quality, affordable health care,” said Vines.
- Expertise: He is a member of Auburn University, Samford University, Regions Financial Corporation, and the Alabama Business Council boards of directors. Vines succeeds David L. Holmberg, president, and CEO of Highmark Health, who was elected to the position in 2019.
- Contributions: “It has been an honor to lead the board and serve the more than 111 million Americans covered by BCBS companies,” said Holmberg. “I wish Tim the very best and know he will make incredible contributions in shaping the future of the Blue System and industry at large.”
- Appreciations: “I greatly appreciate David’s exceptional leadership in helping to navigate an unprecedented global health crisis and sharpening our focus on driving health equity,” said Kim Keck, president, and CEO of BCBSA. “I am thrilled to welcome Tim into his new role and have every confidence that under his guidance, we’ll be well-positioned to advance and expand the critical work already underway.”