A primary care practice has been able to increase its operations while maintaining great patient experiences thanks to the deployment of a cloud-based EHR system. For employer-sponsored health plans, CareTeam runs an expanded primary care approach.
- Primary care: Unlike traditional fee-for-service primary care, CareTeam gets paid on a fixed-fee basis to manage a population.“Our model is particularly focused on outcomes, quality, and accessibility more than a traditional primary care model,” Scott Parks, president, and co-founder of CareTeam told.
- Operations: The organization operates onsite primary care health centers, as well as what it calls “near-site” health centers which are close to employer locations. Parks said there are also some environments where CareTeam operates shared multi-employer primary care centers. About three and a half years ago, CareTeam implemented a cloud-based EHR system from athenahealth.
- Environments: “We have to be prepared to put primary care clinics up in any environment—urban, rural, any state—depending on where our employer clients lead us, so picking a solution that was cloud-based was principally important for us to scale our business nationally,” Parks explained.
- Frameworks: Parks said that the cloud-based EHR system’s open API framework was also a selling point for CareTeam.“We’re super sensitive to being able to make sure other tech systems can integrate and talk to the athenaOne platform,” he said.
- Servers: “Our business would really suffer if we had to worry about server rooms and onsite EHR support specialists,” he added. “We really needed something that could be centrally managed where we could effectively take a router, a Wi-Fi signal, and a laptop and operate a cloud-based EHR system.”