Hello Omni Talk Fans! The retail sky is falling! The retail sky is falling! The retail sky is falling!
Well, probably not, even though after the rash of company announcements this week, it probably feels that way.
As you will see from our podcast, much of the disruption was to be expected coming off the highest of retail highs for many retailers (i.e. the pandemic), and particularly for Walmart and Target.
Now the real question is: Where does it all settle out?
In this week’s Fast Five, the Alvarez & Marsal Consumer & Retail Group’s David Ritter and Michael Simoncic joined Anne and me to discuss:
- What to make of Target and Walmart’s earnings this week
- How warm and fuzzy we should feel about Instacart’s IPO plans
- Whether Peloton planning to sell through third-party retailers for the first time ever makes strategic sense
- Why Zara’s move to charge U.K. customers for returns feels like a stick now but could be more of a carrot in the long-run
- And closed with a pragmatic take on Walmart’s effort to lure college graduates into stores with promises of $200K salaries.